Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My Weekend

We spent a nice weekend in New Jersey and we bid bon voyage to my parents who left on a fabulous 16 day cruise across the Atlantic to the Azores, Spain, Monte Carlo and Italy. The pictures in the brochure make it look so luxurious - I can imagine myself lounging on a chair by the pool, sipping an exotic drink while I knit on my latest pair of socks. Dream on! I hope my parents stay safe. They are both in their 80's and have some health issues. Mom has had to back out of the last two planned trips because she wasn't up to the physical activity and Dad was just in the hospital a few weeks ago for a pacemaker. They deserve a fun and relaxing trip!

The children celebrated Easter with an egg hunt and Easter baskets. As we walked back from the hunt, I saw some pictures that made me think of Project Spectrum. One with all the colors:

and one specific to April's colors:

The children celebrated mostly with candy and I celebrated by checking out the new yarn store - Stix-n-Stitches. The people were very friendly and there were some people sitting and knitting. One woman was finishing a beautiful Einstein coat, something I have thought of making. Hers was in a wonderful brownish Lopi although I would probably make it out of something softer. I was very tempted by some of the Elsabeth Lavold - they had a nice selection of her Silky Wool and Silky Tweed, but I only saw two colors of the Hempathy - one being a beautiful chocolatey brown. But I resisted since I had recently looked through my stash. I have several places where I keep my stuff - my closet, 2 cedar chests and a few large Rubbermaid containers. This means that most of the stuff is out of site and you know what that means ... out of mind. As I get older, and my memory isn't what it used to be, it is always a surprise to go stash diving. Oh, look, I totally forgot about that or what was I thinking I'd make with that. So, I refrained from buying since I really need to get a handle on a few things. Ok, I lied - I did buy one skein over at Modern Yarns. A skein of Lobster Pot Bulky to make the One Skein felted clutch. They also were selling the weavettes which tempted me. I'll definitely go back to both shops when I am in Montclair again. I also took my mom to Suzette's (on Church Street) for lunch. We both ordered crepes and were very happy with our choice (we'll have to go back for some of the dessert ones - they looked delicious).

Meanwhile the baby sweater progresses - we made pom poms at work yesterday for the hat with this cool tool from Clover. I think I might need to get one of these for myself. I am also working on the P socks and I started this project from some Silky Wool I had in my stash. My excuse for starting yet another project was that I needed some mindless knitting and all of the other projects were at spots where I needed to do some thinking. Yeah, that's it...

I'll leave you with a nice closing shot.

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Glad you had a great weekend!

Emma said...

Ooh, your parents' vacation sounds heavenly. I hope they have a great trip!