Monday, January 09, 2006

Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire

Here are my answers to the Secret Pal 7 questionnaire. Some more random bits of information about me. I'll try to get a way of linking to this from the sidebar to make it easier for my secret pal to find this information. I can't wait for all of this to begin.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
I definitely prefer to use natural fibers. It just feel so much better to work with them and if I'm putting a lot of work into something, I like the results better with natural fibers. I try to match the yarn with the project and what might be right for the recipient. You know, those people that put everything in the washer/dryer vs. those that handwash. Or those baby gifts that need to be able to be thrown in the washer. It's important to me how the yarn and the final product feels. Some acrylics and blends feel wonderful while others just feel, well, yucky.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Yes, I spin and love it! I have done a little crochet - mainly afghans and washcloths, but I could be tempted with the right project to try other things.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Uhhh.. my double pointeds are stored in those M&M containers (you have to eat the M&Ms before you can use them so it's a good combination of chocolate and knitting). Otherwise, I haven't been able to find a storage system I really like so there is no real organization of needles here. That is something I need to work on.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned when I was younger and then knit again a little in college. I started again about 12 years ago and haven't put the needles down since. I would say I'm an intermediate knitter -usually I'm willing to try any pattern as long as it is well written.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, but maybe I could make one.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love clean smelling scents, also citrusy or slightly spicy. I don't like anything that's too overpowering.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Are we only supposed to have one sweet tooth - no one told me! Chocolate is one of my favorite food groups but I also love those Jelly Belly jelly beans.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I also do some quilting, sewing, beading, rubber stamping (make cards) and some scrapbooking.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD).
I like a lot of different music, but I'm definitely not up on the newer stuff (don't like rap music - just don't get it I guess). I was born in the 60s and grew up with my older siblings listening to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bruce, ... When I was older I gravitated towards James Taylor (still one of my favorites), Jackson Brown, Carly Simon, Simon and Garfunkel, .... I also like classical and listen to a lot of show tunes with my 5 year old. I've been thinking I'd like to start listening to more music again and yes, my computer can play CDs and MP3s. I'd love to be exposed to more music. Oh and I used to listen to a lot of Grateful Dead.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I tend to lean towards greens and autumn colors. I don't usually do blacks.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have been married for 14 years and have a wonderful almost 6 year old daughter. Only fish for pets currently, but I hope that will change (maybe a dog or cat).

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves and mittens. Don't do a lot of hats (the flat hair just doesn't make it), but some days it is necessary in the northeast! I haven't worn a poncho (although I have made a few for my daughter). I just haven't found a pattern that I love for myself. I do like shawls though.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I think whatever I am knitting with at the time. Hmmm let's see, I like Manos, Fleece Artist anything, Debbie Bliss cashmerino, Lornas Laces, Brown Sheep, oh and Blue Sky Alpaca sportweight is gorgeous.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I don't know if there is a fiber I don't like although now that I think about it, I haven't been too fond of Lopi. When I first started knitting, I guess I pulled tightly and the yarn would actually pull apart. I recently bought some and found it a little too itchy although I love the patterns for their sweaters.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks and sweaters. Oh and mittens.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Currently socks - they are nice and portable.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Socks and some cardigans for me. After the holidays is "knitting for me" time.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Of course!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
It really depends on the project. When I have been stuck not having the correct size dps, I have resorted to the 2 circular method. Whatever works!

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo or Addi Turbos. But once again, I'll use whatever I have.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, both.

22. How did you learn to knit?
I really don't remember. Maybe my mom taught me although I don't remember her knitting much - or maybe my older sister.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
If I can remember, I would say my oldest knitting UFO is about 10 years old - one of those huge bags that is supposed to be felted. I think I got bored. I may have something older, but they tend to get put away and not heard of again.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I've always liked the characters living in the 100 Acre Wood - Tigger being a favorite. And I love sheep and alpacas - for obvious reasons.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas and my birthday - what, aren't birthdays holidays?!!

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides fiber... Actually I've decided that I need to be in a purging mode - too much stuff and it is getting to be stressful. Although it is hard when it comes to my craft stuff (see question 8 above).

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I only subscribe to Spin-Off although I have started picking up Interweave Knits when it comes out.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I finally purchased some Socks That Rock yarn that I am dying to try. I really want to order some Blackwater Abbey and Alice Starmore yarn. And I have heard so much about Cascade 220 and would like to try that also. As far as books, I just bought a bunch of new sock books and some mitten books. I'll have to go and check out Amazon and figure out that wish list thing.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Well, I want to do more work with cables so I've joined the Japanese sweater KAL and I haven't done much lace work so that's another area I'd like to try. I also need to try more colorwork - I need to work on my tension when knitting with multiple colors.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I am a sock knitter. I have a size 10 foot so I pity the person that might knit socks for me.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
June 22

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pal - You have certainly given me lots of ideas for spoiling you these next few months - I am looking foward to getting to know you - (I like Key Lime Martini's too!)

Your SP7