Friday, August 01, 2008

Where is the summer going?

The summer seems to be just flying by. Is there some sort of time warp that happens as one gets older? Since I do have to work over the summer, I need to find fun camps for my daughter to attend. So far she has gone to art camps, horseback riding camp and now she is in Girl Scout camp. So far I have been very lucky since she likes going. My workplace and boss are a little flexible but I don't know what I would do if it was a struggle to get her off every day.

I still feel the need for some down time for both of us - it is the summer after all! So I have tried to take some time off for some summertime activities. Early in the summer we went camping with our Girl Scout troop.


The girls stayed in platform tents and the leaders had a one room cabin. I seemed to be the only one who was really excited at seeing the name of our camping area.


Does anyone else get it? Here's a clue - you might need to be a Harry Potter fan to get it. Yes, that's right - the Weasley's house was called The Burrow. Now maybe I amuse very easily, but I got a big kick out of staying in The Burrow.

We also spend time in New Jersey and one of the things we did was visit the lake that my sister and her family joined.

The kids loved playing in the water and the kayak was a big hit with everyone.

My daughter and I had a great time paddling around the lake. It always amazes me how much she can enjoy things and it makes it fun to do things together. My brother in law was awesome and took the kids out in the sailboat. It too was a big hit with my daughter.

This lake club also offers camping sites and we ended up camping there for two nights - another delight for my daughter but not quite as much for me. I didn't sleep all that well but was happy to be camping with adults that took their morning coffee as seriously as I do. I would have been a hurting girl if I hadn't been able to have my morning coffee.

This past weekend we took a quick trip out to the Cape - Wellfleet to be exact. I really wanted to check out the bike paths and the motel we stayed at was just off of one of the converted rails to trails. We also visited one of the ponds that exist in this area and, once again, had a fun time swimming and playing in the sand.


And yes, there has been some time for knitting but that will have to wait for another post. In the meantime, I will leave you with this awesome link - the Twist Collective premiere issue. I've just started looking through it and it is beautifully done. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little downtime is a good thing!

Twist Collective has some really interesting stuff. I hadn't seen it at all, so thanks!

Turtle said...

twist is beautiful!! still stalking there...

have fun at camp! my daughter and i were just talking about camp punahou in hawaii the other day, miss girl scouting!

Ina said...

What great scenes from summer camp! Glad you're having fun. Cycling on the Cape rail trails is so fantastic that's it's easy to relax a bit too much - be mindful at the street crossings!

Karen said...

Oh, I haven't been to a camp in a really long time. Good memories though...

I was impressed with Twist too.