Friday, June 02, 2006

What would you do?

Scenario: You are visiting someone – family, friends, etc. – and find out that the man who lives next door has started traveling to Iceland for business. Now, you have met this man, his wife and their three children on previous visits. You have even made a baby gift for their third child (a really nice Miss Dashwood and baby booties). He seems like a really nice guy. OK, now the people you are visiting are having a picnic and the family next door is invited.
Do you:
1. Attack the man when he comes into the yard, demanding that he brings home some fleecy goodness next time he goes to Iceland.
2. Casually mention that you have heard about his trips and ask, nicely, if he has ever been in the vicinity of any yarn shops – this being Iceland and all and I would imagine that wool is easily accessible to the average person..
3. Ignore the whole Iceland thing and don’t even bring it up.

Well, I don’t know about you, but I decided to go for number 2. While talking with him,he told me that he doesn't like to stay away too long because his wife needs help with the kids. This results in a trip to Iceland that could actually be a trip to anywhere since he spends the majority of the time in conference rooms and takes the red eye so he can be back home as quickly as possible. Not looking good for bringing back any wool. By the way fleece was mentioned, but I wasn’t sure if he’d really understand that.

Well, I can't give up yet, so we continue talking and I find out that his central air is not working (and it was a hot weekend in NJ) so I try to work out a deal with my brother in law - an engineer who specializes in heating and cooling systems. You know, wool for a cool house. I thought that maybe I was getting someone when I overheard the man say something about bringing back some sheep, but then I realized he was probably joking. Little did he know, that wouldn’t be a joke in some circles.

Well, I tried, but I don’t think I got anywhere. You never know, maybe there will be some Icelandic sheep in my parents back yard being herded by the dog the next time I go home to visit. Come on, a grrl can dream.

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Sounds promising. I'm betting you've laid down some good groundwork.

Anonymous said...

Heh. I am not sure how much the wool is in evidence in urban icelandic life, but I like the way you think.

And how did I know I'd wind up in that little list of links? Hmm.

Anonymous said...

Keep mentioning it! He might mention it to someone else who'll know someone with sheep and voila! You'll have more icelandic fleeces than you can shake a stick at! :) - Connie

Rebecca said...

Well as to wool being in evidence, downtown Reykjavík in the main shopping street there are 2 yarn shops (one more a needlework shop). My fiancé has often worked next to a yarn shop in another town. AND.... they sell yarn in the supermarket!