Monday, June 01, 2009

Bragging Rights



I’m so proud. Our local animal shelter sponsored a poster contest in the area schools and my daughter won second place in her age group. The theme for her grade was “Lost Pets + ID = Ticket Home” and this is her poster. She really loves doing artwork and comes up with some great ideas.

I also finished NaKniSweMoDo09 sweater #5 and my daughter has been wearing it almost everyday. This sweater was a quick and easy knit and she loves it. Ravelry details are here.


For the most part, my daughter has a great group of friends but we have run into some issues lately with parents whose parenting ideas are different than mine. For example, I usually like to be involved in what my daughter is watching on TV, what she is reading, what sites she is visiting on the internet. I feel that it is my responsibility to know what she is being exposed to and I know that as she gets older, I will lose more of this ability. But I would like her to get her information from her parents for as long as possible. Some of the girls in her class are reading the Twilight series and since I had never had any desire to read these books, I had no idea if there were any inappropriate parts for a nine year old. I asked some friends at work and I guess I could have checked with my knowledgeable library resource, but I agreed that she could read the books if we read them together. And let me tell you, I am so glad that I did. The woman at the book store hadn’t read them either but said that she heard they were like eating potato chips – you just couldn’t stop. And boy was she right. My only complaint is that my daughter gets upset if I read too far ahead but this is making the books last longer. Plus if I was reading all the time, there would be no time for knitting.

5 comments:

JessaLu said...

I haven't read the Twilight series but I've heard it's good - I think it's so cool that you're reading it along with your daughter!

Carole Knits said...

Hannah loves Twilight but I just couldn't get into them. I would have thought R would be a little young for them but reading together is a great idea.

Carrie K said...

I love her poster!! Congratulations.

Even if a book is over her head, it's a great idea for you two to read them together. Better than making them banned and therefore horribly desireable. (Not that I've read the Twilight series, I burnt out on vampires eons ago). (And romance. ;)

Mereknits said...

I just came across your blog. It is just lovely.

I have a 15 year old that I still check to see what he is doing on the internet. I belong to facebook just so I can see what he posts and what others post to him. I don't check all the time but I can and that makes a difference.

I loved the Twilight series. Book four may be a bit much for a nine year old. the story is amazing, anything that keeps their interest in reading is a huge plus.

Donna said...

You are doing the right thing - my daughter is almost 14 and I still am checking/involved in as much as possible. I have the passwords to myspace, etc... She knows I am a cop! I don't always like what I find, but then we talk about it. I don't know too many other parents that still do that in the teen years but I am trying hard.

I didn't get into Twilight myself. But I know others who are crazy about it. Enjoy it together!