Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Size 1 Needles Do Not Belong at Competitive Events

No, I didn't poke anyone with them, but there were a couple times when I almost broke one of my needles. On Saturday, my daughter was in a state level gymnastics meet and for some reason, I was quite nervous. I'm learning something about myself - or maybe just admitting something. Even though I hate to compete, I think I may be a competitive person. I like to win. I know that the most important thing is to do your best, but it is also nice to come in first. So, when my daughter was competing this weekend, I found myself, with sweaty palms, clutching those size 1 needles in a death grip and I kept having to tell myself to calm down. After all, I just want her to have fun. I never would have performed in front of a lot of people when I was growing up - I'm too shy. I am so proud that she is doing this and I just want her to have fun and enjoy it. She may be beginning to realize what it means to come in first, second, etc. because after the meet, she asked me if first place was the best. I told her that everyone wins as long as they do their best. And the Y does a good job because everyone gets medals or ribbons or whatever no matter where you finish. Note to self: next time, bring a project on larger needles - maybe around size 10 or so.
Now for some knitting content - Project Spectrum is coming along wonderfully. I should probably join Risa's KAL in wiping out the WIP's since I have plenty of red/pink projects on the needles to work on this month. Here is what I worked on Sunday:

My second Opal Ladybug sock is coming along nicely - I'm now at the heel. I also have my NBaT on the needles from a while back and will work on that when the sock is finished.

Looking forward to next month, I am already lining up my projects although I don't have anything on the needles in the orange/yellow family - except for some Jaywalkers in STR Carbon - they have some yellow in them. Guess I'll have to cast on for some new projects. Life is good!

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Your daughter looks adorable in that photo. And I think I like your Ladybug yarn better than my Flamingo yarn!

Anonymous said...

Whoo, she looks like a superstar. Don't you hate when you have to face up to your own competitiveness. I like to pretend I don't care. Except when I'm winning. ;)